Motorola released the a budget Moto G series smartphone in Moto G4 series in 2016. This smartphone was named as the Moto G4 Play which comes as a budget option to the Moto G4 and the Moto G4 Plus. Now, this smartphone came with a solid build and regular 16:9 display.
On the software front, the Moto G4 Play was announced with Android Marshmallow which was the latest version of Android available at that time. However, we have seen that Motorola has been very slow in updating their smartphones recently. For a matter of fact, the last year’s Moto G5s Plus which is the current flagship in Moto G series from Motorola has not been updated to Android Oreo.
Therefore, we advice that you should not keep your hopes of getting the Android Oreo update officially on your Moto G4 Play. For this reason, we have put up a detailed guide for you to install Android 8.1 Oreo on your Moto G4 Play with the help of a process called flashing. Make sure to read the entire procedure from below and let us know in the comments if you face any problem.
- First and foremost, it is very important to take an entire backup of your smartphone before installation of any Custom ROM. Thus, we would strongly recommend you to do the same as well.
- Also, it is necessary that you charge your device to at least 50% or more so that there are no problems during the installation process.
- Apart from that, it is mandatory that your device is unlocked and you should have custom recovery installed. We recommend TWRP recovery to be installed on your device.
Steps to install LineageOS 15.1 based on Android 8.1 Oreo for Moto G4 Play
- Make sure to follow each and every step mentioned in the Prerequisites section properly as they are very important.
- Once you have completed all the Prerequisites steps, we can proceed with the installation process.
- Now, go to the Downloads section above and download both the files attached above on your PC or smartphone.
- If you have downloaded this files on your PC, transfer them to your smartphone’s internal storage via a USB Cable.
- Once the files are transferred, you have to boot your smartphone into TWRP recovery.
- To enter TWRP recovery, switch off your phone and press Power + Volume Down button for few seconds.
- Once you have entered TWRP, you need to go to TWRP’s Install section. Here, select the LineageOS 15.1 zip file that you downloaded from above.
- After that, click on the zip file and swipe to flash the file. Repeat the same process for GApps zip file as well.
- Once the flashing is complete, your Moto G4 Play will be running the latest version of Android which is Android 8.1 Oreo.